Friday 5 April 2013

My Personal Gig


Unfortunately the first Purge gig that I ever went to I didn’t document that well or remember that much of, due to being completely off my face blind drunk (ahh well,). What I did remember though as I woke up for work the next morning with a thumping headache and a mouth as dry as the Sahara was one riff, all the way through work that day I couldn’t stop humming it. For the life of me I couldn’t remember the lyrics or the title.
Danny Boy
A week later I was invited to sit in on one of their practice sessions at a pub named The Hare and Hounds (Purge’s home), so in more ways than one this was my first real Purge gig. It consisted of a room with three lads I’d known barely a week and one of my mates Haiden (lead guitar, he’s the one who invited me), three guitars with their amps, a drum set, two microphones and me trying not to act like a giddy little teenager in the corner.

 Watching the four of them play facing each other in this dark and dingy pub cellar there was a real sense of fun not only in the relationship they have together but in the songs they were practicing. I recently read a review on their songs which states you don’t know where they are going and they always keep you guessing and this really sums up my own personal initial opinion of the songs.. There was also a relaxed feeling to the “gig” which allowed the four of them to mess around with the music as they wouldn’t have been able to do on a stage. I loved every minute of it!



Haiden (left) and Bob

      
Bob (left) and Josh








By the way the riff I couldn't get out of my head belonged to a song called Club Diarama, click the link at the bottom of this post and find it, wait for it to kick in and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment